Sunday, December 1, 2013

Day 1= my children

As many have seen from all the Facebook posts today starts the week of Crohn's and Colitis awareness week!! This is a time for us to spread the word and educate everyone around us about these "trying" diseases. I have been trying to think about a theme for these next 7 days and I think I have found a good one. 

The 7 days of Crohn's!! 

So the 1st day of Crohn's involve how dearly this disease affects my children on a daily basis.  I know I have talked about this many times before but I there are so many days where I question my parenting skills. I can't begin to tell you how many doctors have advised me not to have children because do the risks that ensue and the possibility of passing the genetic marker onto my children.  Well I went against the grain and have 3 beautiful children. 


Even though I don't know if they will develop Crohn's in the future I do know that they are healthy and happy and make my world go round. There have been times in my life especially recently that I don't think I would have made it but I would think of them and continue to trudge on. 

They have all learned to accept the concept when we are in stores and mom has to run to the bathroom... Literally sometimes. And having all 3 at times crowded in the stall with me as I am apologizing over and over again how sorry I am. They don't care!! They understand and don't ever complain. I'm the one that is constantly making excuses and saying sorry while they don't care.  They think it's weird and funny when we have had to leave the cart in the middle of the aisle. 

I was talking to lily about this week and asked her if she would write about what Crohn's is to her... Here's her story!!

My name is Lily and I am 9 years old and in the 4th grade. I have never known anything different than the fact that my mom goes to the bathroom A LOT and has to be in the hospital at times. I'm really sad when my mom is in the hospital because she is sick and not home with us. I wish that her Crohn's would just go away forever. I don't like it when she has to get a needle in her arm for medicine. 

What do you think Crohn's is?
Crohn's is something that hurts people's stomach like my moms. It makes people lie down because they have so much pain and sometimes curl up in a ball.

How do you feel about Crohn's?
Sad that my mom has to be sick all the time and that she has it 

Do you have a wish? 
I wish that people wouldn't have Crohn's 

Do you pray you and your brothers don't get it?
Yes  because I don't want to go to the bathroom all the time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment